A brief history of Glynde Stores and Little Cottage Tea Room, written by local historian Andrew Lusted.
1717 The earliest map of Glynde shows a blacksmiths’ shop on the site, owned by John Grover, blacksmith.
1730 Grover’s daughter, Mary, inherited the property. She married John Willard, local farmer and demolished the blacksmiths’ shop, building a new, fashionable, red brick house on the site that became known as Pear Tree Cottage.
1785 The Willards had died and the house passed to William Stretton, bricklayer. On 1st January that year the first record of a shop on the premises appeared when an inventory of the assets of Thomas Rickman of Barcombe showed he was owed money from a shop at Glynde.
1788 Stretton sells to William Wisdom, carpenter, malster,coal merchant and dealer in building materials. Wisdom rented a wharf by Glynde Bridge river where coal and other materials could be landed by barge. Wisdom took out a mortgage on his property in 1802 for £485 and appears to have struggled to meet the repayments. This may have been because the government had imposed a malt tax to help finance the struggle against Napoleon and the custom of cottagers brewing their own beer had fallen into disuse.
1815 William Wisdom sells Pear Tree Cottage to the Glynde Estate. The house was divided into two and there was probably already a shop attached to the western end of the house. Wisdom probably continued living in the left half of the house while Robert Tugwell began paying poor tax on the other part of the house. In 1816 Tugwell was paying tax on the same property but now described as ‘part of house and shop’. Tugwell disappears from the tax record in 1822 but soon after this date the shop was definitely occupied by Stephen Lusted, who was probably a relation of Tugwell and had the principal occupation of a carpenter.
1837 Stephen Lusted dies but his descendants continued to occupy the shop until 1978.
1978 Geoff and Pat Riley become the new tenants, Pat running the shop. They were succeeded by Mr and Mrs Thomas who, in turn, were succeeded by Terry and Linda Lloyd in 1994. Seven years later Philip McBrown took over the shop until June 2013 when David and Debbie Beasley took over. Steve and Joanne Grogan purchased the business in December 2016.
The Little Cottage Tea Room
The date of the Little Cottage building is unknown, but it is very similar to another weather-boarded building that was converted into the house now called Welsted, standing on the other side of The Square. The building had probably been built around 1830 by either Nicolas Wisdom, carpenter and brother of William, or his son Thomas.
1861 Little Cottage is occupied by James Unstead, wheelwright, who would have worked for Stephen Lusted, carpenter and son of the Stephen who had become tenant of the shop after 1822.
1871 Still occupied by James Unstead
1881 Occupied by Martha Unstead, widow of James
The Little Cottage continued to be lived in as a very small residence until 2005 when Philip McBrown, occupier of the Glynde Store, also took over tenancy of Little Cottage and, with help from the Glynde Estate, converted it to the Little Cottage Tea Rooms.
For more info on the history of Glynde visit http://glynde.info/history/index.html